Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Almagro

About 6 or 7 years ago I came to Almagro, Spain for a week long intensive theatre course with some classmates and my to-be MA thesis advisor. It was the beginning of my love affair with Golden Age Spanish Theatre, probably one of those moments that put me on the path to where I am today, completely unconsciously. And here I am, back in Almagro, many years (and a couple of degrees) later to see some of the plays I spend my days studying.

Almagro is also in the heart of Castilla-La Mancha, where Don Quijote lived and adventured. It has a long tradition of "encaje", aka tatting as pictured (along with Quijote memorabilia of course) above.

The plays take place late at night (they are all outdoors, in patios placed between the houses and during the mid-day it hit 40 C (104F) yesterday, so daytime performances are almost impossible) so I'll spend my morning checking out two museums that encapsulate two of my big interests: the Museo Nacional del Teatro for my scholarly side and the Museo del Encaje for my inner fiber-arts lover.

No comments: