Sunday, September 25, 2011

FOs all over the place

handsome husband by gradschoolknitter
handsome husband, a photo by gradschoolknitter on Flickr.

Also finished up Friday night, my Oh, handsome boyfriend sweater (except, for a husband!).

I like that they offer the first size free, especially since it was the right size for me to cast on! I did do some major modifications, however, including cutting the length of the sleeves and body (they must have some really tall, skinny dudes wearing size S in Norway...).

Other Mods: worsted weight instead of doubled fingering, cut out portion of the colourwork chart due to body length issues and, perhaps most notably, garter stitch cuffs and hem, as opposed to ribbing, to match the collar.
Yarn: Knitpicks Swish Worsted in Cobblestone Heather (8+ balls... bought 10, used a few yards of the 9th to finish up collar and sew together sleeves, etc), and Black (approx. .75 of a skein).
Needles: US 8 for sleeves and most of body, US 10 for colourwork section and bind-off.

I can understand now why they call it the sweater curse. We've already had a few issues with seams coming loose, and... disagreements about how to treat/use handknits. Not that he's like, throwing it on the ground and stomping on it... boys just aren't as delicate with how they put on/take off clothing sometimes. Also, I had issues with the armholes and sleeves matching up perfectly, so I think part of the problem stems from there. I'm sure once those glitches are worked out this sweater will live a long and happy life!

No comments: