Sunday, July 8, 2007

Reassessment

It's time to reassess my Summer Knitting Goals. I've finished 1, 5 and 6 (gave my mom the shawl yesterday but didn't have the opportunity to take a picture of it on yet), which leaves 2, 3, and 4. I've been working on #2 (Vest for Dr. OSCBF) intermittently, and I attempted to start on #4 (schaefer anne destashing). #3 (BMP Socks) Seems a little too daunting right now. I also still have one more paper to write before the end of the month. #4 didn't go exactly as planned. I cast on for the Silk Cami from LMKG but I ran through almost half my yardage in about 5". Plus the variegated yarn didn't look all that great in the lace pattern - too much going on I think - and I didn't like the way the stockinette was knitting up... the stitches looked too loose. I'm think I might just give in and jump on the Monkey bandwagon. I'm not a huge fan of knitting socks, but maybe I just haven't found the right pattern yet. We'll see... I just don't know what else I can do without more yardage.

I have more new goals, most of which have to do with destashing. I've convinced myself that yarn will be easier to transport (when I move back south of the border for school at the end of August) if already in knitted form. Plus, some of the stuff is staying here as gifts for people, so that will make it easier too... rather than taking the yarn back with me, knitting it there and then shipping it back.

For instance: I have the Rowan Summer Tweed sent by my Secret Pal, which I'm considering making into some kind of short-sleeved summer shrug; and the two different colours of cotton which I'm thinking would make a nice stripy something... t-shirt most likely since I probably don't have enough for a full sweater. And there's the Kidsilk Haze, which I think I will use for Portland Pullover from interweave knits fall '06. Only I want to modify it so it has less of a turtle-ish neck... maybe a boat neck?

So, to break it down:

1. Finish the Vest (only reason it's taking so long is that it's too hot to have pure wool sitting on your lap... ugh.)
2. BMP socks
3. Schaefer Anne Destash: potentially Monkey Socks
4. Get over second sock syndrome with lace-rib socks and write out pattern for those who might be interested
5. Destash, destash, destash... all of which includes:
5a. Rowan Summer Tweed shrug
5b. Phildar stripy cotton tee
5c. Kidsilk sweater

I've been itchy with startitis for about a week now so I'm going to go and cast something, anything, on.

No comments: