Saturday, February 10, 2007

First class!

I taught my first class at Lovelyarns today and it was a lot of fun. No pictures though, 'cause it was just too insane and the time passed by so quickly that I didn't even think to stop and take any. And I ended up frogging my scarf because I really want to end up using the Berroco Bonsai to make this from the interweave spring 2007 magazine. I don't currently have a subscription but I think my LYS gets it in next week, so I might buy it as a trial copy... it looks like there's a lot of interesting patterns this issue. I'll need a few more skeins (like, say 7 or 8...) but I have the same colour and I think that this will be well worth it and something that I'll get a lot more use out of.

I ended up staying at the store from 11 - 5, except for lunch... and I got absolutely NO progress done on anything. I frogged the small bit of scarf I had started with my class, and ended up ripping out and starting over on the sample scarf I'm making for the store. First off, I brought the wrong needles somehow (one 6 and one 9) and then I dropped a stitch and the Waikiki is practically impossible to work with when trying to go back or pick up stitches in, so I ripped it out and started over. By 5:00 I had finally gotten back to the point that I was at at the beginning of the day, so I decided to call it even and pack it in. One of the other girls from my knitting group was there, so we grabbed a pizza and came back here to hang out, eat junky food and knit. I'm coming along nicely now on my Hourglass Sweater. I've started the decreases for the waist line.

I should be teaching another class next weekend, the basketweave scarf (check out the last class description on this page) if anyone signs up. There is apparently one woman who said she would tentatively like to sign up, so we'll see what happens...

4 comments:

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Good luck with your Hourglass, can't wait to see the pics...isn't it funny how in Knitting Groups you never actually get anything done? Granted you were teaching and probably not expecting to, but I am amazed at how little I get done in any group setting!

gradschoolknitter said...

I'm kind of a "freak" (as some of both my knitting and non-knitting friends call me... affectionately of course!) when it comes to knitting 'cause I can get it done when doing just about anything... watching TV, sitting around chatting, even while reading for class - and taking notes. I know, ridiculous. So usually I get at least a little bit done, but the frogging killed any chance of progress yesterday.

I don't usually take pictures of wips, but with the hourglass sweater I think I might. It's been a long time since I've tackled a sweater, and never in the round, so I think I might take some pictures when it starts taking more shape.

Sheila said...

Congrats on your first knitting class. If you can teach the smartys at JHU, you can teach knitters. I'm a Neonatal Nurse Practitioner and I always said if I could teach residents procedures in the intensive care nursery, I could teach anyone. I love the sweater from Interweave knits. We were looking at it at the LYS and the yarn used is gorgeous. It has a beautiful sheen to it.

gradschoolknitter said...

I'm actually not using the Cash Irona for the Hourglass sweater... I would love too because it looks like a beautiful yarn, but when I was home for Christmas my mom had a huge bag of this Aran DK straight from Ireland that my grandmother or 2nd cousin had brought over... She had started a cabled sweater on it about 10 years ago and never got any further on it. So she frogged it and gave me this huge bag of yarn to bring back with me. And it's a very similar colour to the one in Last Minute Knitted Gifts so I thought it might make a nice sweater. We'll see... it's a bit rougher than the Cash Irona (of course...) but I'm ok with wool generally. I'll post some wip pics soon, when it's a little further along.