Sunday, June 19, 2011

Iceland Redux

Thank you so much to everyone who has commented on my Iceland posts. We had so much fun and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants a different experience than the normal Europe or beach type trip.

I have a few more images that I wanted to share but just couldn't fit into my other posts. Above, for example, is a carving of a woman knitting. At the museum it was labelled as "naïve art," since the artist was an amateur, probably just whittling things for fun at home. You can see the yarn being cradled under her arm and the needles in her hands.

And there were. of course, tons of animals:

sheep!

reindeer!
Reindeer!

miniature horses
And miniature horses!

And tons of other fiber (and other) arts:

horsehair rug
horsehair rug

loom
weaving loom

embroidered chair
embroidered chair

embroidery
embroidery

embroidered handkercheif
embroidered handkerchief

wood carved animals
carved wooden creatures

embroidered saga
Embroidered scene from an Icelandic Saga

map of iceland

Iceland was fabulous and so different from any trip I had ever taken before! I would definitely recommend it, but make sure you get out of Reykjavik and see some of the amazing and alien-like landscape of the sparsely populated countryside. You won't regret it!

And now, back to our regularly scheduled knitting...