Friday, August 6, 2010

not making fun*


barthelona, originally uploaded by gradschoolknitter.

You know how sometimes you really dread having to do something and then when you actually do it you realize it's not so bad after all? That's how I felt about these socks. The boy asked for some cotton socks, because he really likes the socks I've made him so far, but the ridiculous heat and humidity of summer here means that wool socks are completely out of the question. I haven't done much knitting with cotton because I normally don't like the feel of it... so I figured I would order some cotton sock yarn from knitpicks so that I wouldn't be too put out if it was totally hating it. (Knitpicks = ridiculously cheap, yo.)

Here's the kicker: I actually really like this yarn! It's soft and smooth and has great stitch definition! And this pattern (Barcelona socks) is super easy and memorizable (unless you continuously knit in public and talk to people rather than pay attention to what row you are on.... not that we know anyone who does that...) but gets even the most advanced knitters ooh-ing and aaaah-ing over how complex it looks.

*I am calling these "barthelona socks" because of the boy's love of this hipster pup. And yes, the "ce" sound really does sound lispy in Castilian Spanish.

2 comments:

Susan said...

Seriously cool pattern. I keep coming back and looking at them. Love the way it works with the colorway.

gradschoolknitter said...

Thanks Susan! I'm really liking them too... I wasn't sure how it would end up looking in a solid color (since the originals are multi-colored but I'm pretty pleased with it!