Monday, March 11, 2013

a change would do you good

just a toe by gradschoolknitter
just a toe, a photo by gradschoolknitter on Flickr.

shamelessly stealing blog post titles from song lyrics, I know, I know

I cast on for the second set of socks for the WWFY group this morning. Sure, sure, I haven't quite finished the first set...

sunshine sans toes
ok, so "not quite finished" means I still have a toe and a whole sock still to do...

... but I just needed something new. I've been feeling that way about a lot of things in my life lately... I keep threatening to cut off my hair... I feel like I'm on the brink of a big professional change... all kinds of things.

And so this morning I finally took the plunge... and changed my ravelry name! I've been "gradskoolknitter" since my first year in my PhD program, but having defended almost a year ago, it was really starting to seem outdated. I haven't changed anything on the blog yet, as that would require a whole lot more work and planning, but the rav name change is rather easy (although you only get to do it 3 times... so you've got to make it count!).

If you've made it this far, I'm sure you're wondering what it is... I will henceforth be known (at least on ravelry) as arteconsobras! The name is not just a random stringing of letters, but Spanish for "art from leftovers". I've been thinking about it for some time, and the name comes from a comment on this blog, in fact. When I posted about my finished leftover sock yarn blanket an anonymous poster (who signed "Susana" and I think I know who it is from the MadridKnits group) wrote "No siempre la gente sabe hacer arte con sobras. Me parece preciosa." Roughly translated it means "Not everyone knows how to make art from the leftovers. It's beautiful". I loved that comment and I loved the idea of "art from the leftovers". So after much mulling, I finally took the complement on as my knitting identity.

I promise there will be lots of artistic uses of leftovers in the near future!

No comments: