Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy US Turkey Day!

So, I'm not American, but I do live in the States and so today, if nothing else for me, means a day off! And actually, I am going to have Thanksgiving dinner with a couple of friends and one of the friends' family, so yay turkey!

So on my day off I have done this:


On the left is my mom's famous apple cake and on the right is a blueberry pie. The apple cake is always a hit, the blueberry pie I'm a little less confident about. It's my first "on my own" pie crust (that's right, no frozen pie crust for this gal!) and it's my first blueberry pie. The last pie I made (which was about a year ago) was peach, also a first time, and a hit. I didn't make the pie crust that time though, my friend Andrew did...


And a little of the Christmas Knitting:

A giagantor cabled scarf (on size 19, not 35 as directed). Pattern is Big Fat Cable Scarf by a friend of mine. If you are going to try out this pattern, make sure you add an 8th row to purl across the cable... you'll see what I mean. Oh, and I also added an extra stitch on either side of the cable.

OK, back to the baking... time to whip some cream!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks great, whatever you think! I've never managed a blueberry-only pie, only ever blueberry-and-fruit pies. How'd it turn out?

gradschoolknitter said...

Thanks! Both turned out really well! I used a recipe from The Fannie Farmer Cookbook (which my family gave me as a "hint" christmas present the first year I moved out on my own...) and I think next time I'd use less sugar than called for... it was a little too sweet and sometimes overpowered the taste of the blueberries.

Unknown said...

so i see you found a recipe for pie! i took the day off work today which was about the best idea i've ever had so i thought id check up on you lol.