Thursday, August 30, 2012

disaster (semi)averted

Well, minus a few stray ends, this is pretty much done. I'm not in love with this "blanket". I know that I said I thought it was brilliant, and I still think that the construction is, but I hate the outcome. Actually, I don't still think the construction is brilliant. I think the concept is. But the final result is less than desirable.

For starters, grafting takes time. A lot of time. In fact, I probably spent almost as much time sewing the squares together as I did knitting them. And the little circles in between? So annoying. What's more annoying, though, is the fact that they leave holes on all four corners of each square. I had a hunch that I should pick up some extra stitches for each one, but I went against my better judgement and did not do it. Wrongity-wrong-wrong.

Another annoyance (and this is my own fault) is that this really isn't big enough, even for a baby blanket. It might grow a bit with blocking, but not enough. So, I'm going to go with one of two options:

a) backing the blanket with fabric and adding a bit extra to the border, something like this.
or
b) making it into a pillow (also with a fabric backing) that can be used in a nursery rocking chair or for decoration.

What do you think? Would you prefer to receive a baby blanket or a decorative pillow?

3 comments:

Bronwyn Mroz Benson said...

That's a bummer it didn't work out right. :/

I kind of like the idea of turning it into a pillow. I think that might last longer and be of use longer. I have my baby blanket still, but don't know what to do with it so it sits folded up in a closet. A pillow would be useful much longer. :)

Mairead said...

How disappointing! But I can see exactly what you mean. I agree with Bronwyn, the pillow idea is a good one, and has a longer 'life' than a baby blanket.

Kim said...

And I'm going to play the other card…I totally would prefer a baby blanket. I still have, and use, several of my favorite baby blankets (I use them mostly as nap blankets & as summer cover-ups in bed if it gets a little chilly).