Monday, January 2, 2012

Does it count as stash enhancement if you run out of yarn?

so close by gradschoolknitter
so close, a photo by gradschoolknitter on Flickr.

In my attempt to finish up some UFOs, as per my knitterly resolutions, I have come across an issue pertaining to yet another of said resolutions. See that picture of yarn up there? That's the yarn I'm using to make DH some mittens. I have one complete (minus the thumb) and there is a total of 48g of yarn left. (I know you can't really see it, but I promise, that's what it says on the scale.)

As for the mitten itself:

morko mitten

Yep, you guessed it, 48 grams. And no thumb. Which means that if I were to add the thumb, the mitten would have to weigh more than 48 grams and the yarn would therefore weigh less. Science? (Actually, math, but you get my point.)

So, I found out that webs sells the same icelandic wool and ordered another two skeins of the same yarn. I think what I'm going to do is knit the second mitten out of the yarn I already have and then use the new yarn for the thumbs, just in case it's not a total dyelot match.

So, what do you think? Does buying yarn to complete a project count as stash enhancement? Have I already broken my resolutions? Or am I in the clear?

2 comments:

Sara said...

It seems to me that this yarn acquisition is of a different sort than the stash enhancement I tend to do: buying yarn, especially on sale, with no urgent project in mind. The mittens are turning out nice. I think you made a good choice to get what you need to finish. :)

Susie said...

I vote in the clear! After all, if you didn't acquire the yarn to finish, then you'd have a new problem of a languishing WIP. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!