Thursday, December 17, 2009

commissioned


S1050756, originally uploaded by gradschoolknitter.

I don't normally knit-for-profit, 'cause let's face it, to actually get paid even minimum wage for the number of hours (let alone the materials, or the fact that this is SKILLED labour) it would take to knit something would mean that these gloves, for instance, should be worth over 100$.

BUT, I was asked by a very special friend if I would knit some special mittens for a friend of hers currently stationed in Afghanistan. They had to be the right-ish colours to match BDUs, and flip tops so he could use his fingers when necessary.

So this is mitten 1, designed with all the necessary requirements in mind. Flip top, with button to keep it out of the way, individual fingers to keep them extra warm, a shorter index (trigger) finger, and a thumb flip, in case he needs to type, etc.

I hope they help keep his hands a little warmer, it sounds like it's ghastly cold over there, and that they're still functional for all the things he needs to do. I also hope they fit.. I'm going on a large-ish size but not totally sure, especially since we've never actually met!

1 comment:

Loralee Choate said...

THOSE TURNED OUT AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so so so so grateful friend!!!

Love you to bits~!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!